Christmas is when we get to spend more time with loved ones, and that often means gathering in each other’s homes to enjoy food together. One of the most cherished Irish gifts is failte, the welcome and hospitality shown to visitors. When you arrive in an Irish home, you can expect a cup of tea and a bite to eat. If you decline, people will assume you are just being polite and they’ll insist. It’s a very social culture, and treating others well by being inclusive and welcoming is important.
Being a good guest is also important. Irish people will say ‘you wouldn’t go with one arm as long as the other’, meaning it is rude to arrive empty-handed. Going to a dinner party or dropping by to visit a friend, it would be customary to bring something – a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates or biscuits (aka cookies), flowers, or a cake or pie – for the host.
Of course, entertaining is even more fun when you have all the right little niceties to do it in style.
Irish Gifts for Entertaining
It isn’t really surprising then how many popular Irish gifts are related to serving tea and food! If someone on your Christmas list loves Irish culture and tradition and also loves to have their friends over, we have a few suggestions for you.
- Coaster Set – Practical and stylish, coasters come in a range of styles. You can go with an iconic Irish motif or a personalized set with their name or coat or arms.
- Pint Glasses – Toast your friendship when you raise a traditional Irish pint glass. These are lovely Christmas gift, and they’ll be enjoyed year ‘round… especially on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Crystal Decanter – Fans of Irish whiskey would really enjoy a stunning Irish crystal decanter for their favorite tipple. A decanter is a sophisticated gift, showing someone that you know they appreciate life’s finer things.
- Teapot – Nothing is better on a cold, wet winter day than a proper cup of tea made in a pot. Their Irish ancestors would agree that tea is always better made in pot than a mug.
- Cream Pitcher & Sugar Bowl – They can serve tea in style with a gorgeous cream pitcher and sugar bowl. A beautiful set from Belleek will make it feel luxurious every time.
- Candy Dish – Snack with style and give the home some flair with a gorgeous candy dish. A porcelain or crystal candy dish is an elegant way to serve treats, or it can simply enhance the personality of a room.
- Table Linens – An Irish linen tablecloth or set of napkins is exactly the sort of thing people love but hesitate to buy for themselves. Irish linen adds elegance to any meal.
Finding the right Irish gifts for Christmas isn’t always easy, but we all eat and drink. A food-themed gift is one they are sure to use and enjoy for years to come, especially one that celebrates their Irish roots or love of Irish culture.